"Being different makes you interesting"

Thursday, August 26, 2010

California Trail Center, Elko, Nevada

On my way back to California this month, I stopped at a new museum that is just a few miles west of Elko, Nevada. I have made three round trips to Utah and back in the last four months! Each time, I have seen the sign for this center and thought it would be great to visit. It is brand new, and only just opened this summer of 2010. They said that the official opening will be next summer in 2011. But since they had a few exhibits already set up, it was open. I stopped because I was traveling by myself and didn't have to ask anyone else about stopping. It was a nice museum, and will be even nicer when all the exhibits are finished. It was also nice to get out and stretch my legs.

At the entrance, this California Trail sign caught my eye.
California Trail in the shape of Nevada.

There were many maps of the trails and is inspiring to think about the people who travelled these trails. Some had some real hardships, especially the Donner Party.

Another nice map of the trails.

I know this is sideways. I really need to figure out how to rotate on this blog. . . . This statue was representative of the "Seeing the Elephant" stories.

There was suspicion that the elephants that were seen might have been from a traveling circus. It was about this time that a circus would travel from city to city.


Building a wagon. I wouldn't want to do it.

An example of the little you were allowed to take with you. You mostly had tools and food supplies. Grandma's china would have to be dumped, or left behind.

An actual photograph of the inside of a wagon.

They had a great exhibit on the Pony Express. It is the 150th anniversary of the Pony Express.

There was also an exhibit on early medicine. As I look at the tools above, I am grateful for modern tools of medicine! The tools were probably not as clean back then either~~even when "sterilized".

These old forceps looked creepy. The stethoscope hasn't changed much.

A case of medicinal properties. . . . . also grateful for new medicine!

This was a very pleasant stop to make. I would recommend to anyone. I will stop the next time I drive back to Utah. Don't know when that will be, but I look forward to seeing the newer exhibits.

No comments: