"Being different makes you interesting"

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Where is Matthew?

I recently posted the photos of Matthew's graduation from UCLA. We were lucky to have him home for a day before he headed off to Singapore to work for a year. Earlier in the year, Matthew called me and asked what I thought about him taking a job overseas after graduation, and before Med School. I thought it was a wonderful idea! No better time for him to do something adventurous like this. The timing is perfect! He is single, therefore, travel easily. I remember when Scott and I moved to Germany for his post doctorate fellowship. It was four months after we were married. Scott was concerned about how I would stay busy while he was at work. I managed fine, and that's another topic. This will be a good time for Matthew! It's kind of like sending him on a mission again, but we can talk to him whenever we connect on Skype! I am borrowing a few photos from his Facebook page to share.

A few days after arriving, he ventured out and caught some of the city.
The Merlion is proof that he made it safely there!
I'm sure he will be happy eating asian food! He might want some
cornbread, or bbq steak when he gets home.

Matthew is living in a complex that is set up just for visiting students/workers. He thought he might have the tiniest room available. And, he does. You can see for yourself that there is just enough room to turn around and sit down on the bed. There is no air conditioning, I would die in Singapore without it, but he says he has a fan. . . . He's young and will adjust.

Along with a tiny bedroom, he gets a tiny bathroom! No surprise there. He's not complaining. He likes his work and the lab he is working in. Matthew is doing medical research. While he is in Singapore, he will be working on his Med School applications. His first level applications were all in before he left the states. Now he will wait for replies, and continue on in the process.


1 comment:

Susan Anderson said...

What a great experience that will be. And it gives him something cool to do before starting med school not much more than a year from now...

=)