"Being different makes you interesting"

Friday, July 23, 2010

Girls Camp Crafts - 2010

It's been a month since Girls Camp. I wanted to post photos of what we did. I was really happy that the girls were excited with the craft projects this year! When I knew in January that I was organizing crafts, and then had a wedding to plan for May, I needed to decide early what we were going to do. Originally, it was just the graduations I was planning around. . . . but there was more.

I remembered from the past couple of years, that the girls like to do things with paper. The other thing they always ask if we are doing, is painting. What is it about paint and Girls Camp? I stuck with the paper.

I had some wood pieces left over from last year, so I wanted to use that. My girls checked out a couple of books from the library about that time. It was a book about projects with wallpaper. I was looking through and there was a project for making clocks. "Clocks! That's what we'll do!" I remember saying aloud.

So we cut down the size of the wood to 6" squares. The girls covered the front with printed card stock, then a solid piece on the back. There was a hole drilled in the center and the girls assembled the clock movement. Sounds easier than it was. Putting on those tiny pieces was not easy. Here are a couple of clocks that were made.

The next thing that we made was journals. Again, we used paper and the girls were very creative. We used composition books, only 25 cents at Target this week! We put plain colors on front and back and added a pattern paper for the binding. The finishing touch was a grosgrain ribbon around and fastened with velcro on the front. Some had the ribbon over the binding, some had it under.


The most favorite of all three projects was our CAUTION bag with zipper! No sewing! This bag project was found in another library book about making "bags". I was excited when I found that some projects didn't require a sewing machine.

The CAUTION bag was made out of CAUTION tape, duct tape, staples, zipper. First you make the "fabric" by using 4 strips of the CAUTION tape and duct tape. You over lap the duct tape and work the pieces up the back of the CAUTION. There was stapling, taping, trimming, stapling, taping, more stapling. The girls had so much fun making these. We even had a few leaders that were dying to make them.

With the girls, we used yellow duct tape. You can see on this example that Katie used lime green duct tape. I hadn't found yellow tape yet. However, we liked it with the green.

Girls Camp was very successful this year! I may even go back next year!

2 comments:

Becky said...

What great ideas! And they look like something teenage girls would really enjoy. Enjoy your summer :)

Susan Anderson said...

Wow, those things are GREAT. I especially love the caution bags. I bet the girls loved 'em.

=)