"Being different makes you interesting"

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Girls Camp Crafts--2012

I am finally posting the crafts we did for Girls Camp this past summer!  The photos were on my iPod, which I had forgotten, and kept wondering "where are those photos"?  I got them downloaded and here is what we did:

Washer Necklaces
These were all over the internet!  Very cute!  Also, very easy!  With some prep at home, the girls were able to finish in the 45 minutes they were allotted.  It simply took a metal washer, some designed paper, ribbon, beads, crimp ends and clasps.  Before camp, I punched out circles of paper that matched the size of the washers.  Spraying with spray adhesive, the paper circles were placed on top.  Then I applied a product called JudKins Diamond Glaze.  I let the glaze dry for 48 hours.  I then sprayed a high gloss clear paint on the backs so they would not be rough.

Looping the ribbon through the washer and adding a bead, it was ready for a clasp.  I used a crimp end like this
I rolled the ends of the ribbon, placed the end inside the crimp and closed it up.  There is already a loop on the end to finish with jump ring and clasp.


Washer Bracelets
Same idea but with smaller washers.  These were a little bit more difficult, as they had to be sized to the girls wrists before adding the clasp.  The necklaces were all the same length of ribbon.




Bleach Pen Tote Bags
This was another craft idea that I found many instructions for.  I looked for tote bags that were nice, sold in bulk, and with a cheap price!  Well, I ended up buying some duck cloth at 50% off--it is usually $10 a yard.  Cutting into rectangles of a size I desired, I stitched up the sides, having the bottom be the fold.  Hemming the top, then adding handles--they turned out pretty cute!  For the handles, I used woven belting in black.

The girls picked their color of bag and started to lightly draw a design.  Using chalk is a good idea, as pencil and pen will show through the bleached lines.  I found several sources such as this one http://spoonful.com/crafts/bleach-pen-drawing
However, we let the bleach sit for 5-10 minutes and rinsed them out well in a tub of water.  Since the duck cloth is so heavy, there was no need to put anything between the layers of fabric.

It is amazing to watch the creativity come out in the girls!  There are the usual 10% of girls that are lost in trying to come up with a design.  I think they turned out really well!






Braided Fabric Headbands

How wonderful is the internet?!  There are so many ideas out there--you only have to search "girls camp crafts" and thousands of pages come up!  

The tutorial I liked best was from Sugar Bee Crafts.


I used some scrap fabric I had and only purchased a couple of different colors.  Can you guess what colors went the quickest?  Check at the bottom of this post to find out!

For about 6 years now, there had been some white crochet flowers.  Every year as I purged the supplies, I just couldn't get rid of these flowers!  Finally, I found a great way to use them!  You will see the examples below.  You know it is a great craft if the girls start to wear the item, then see them all week long!  I made the ribbon flower on the first example.  I didn't really know how to do it, so I just fiddled around until I got something that looked okay.


It was great to have Katie there with me that week!


It was a great year in crafts!

The color(s) that was popular:  black and white, and red or fuchsia pink

No comments: